- Please arrive 15 mins prior to your appointment time.
- You will be required to fill out a MR screening form upon arrival.
Preparations for MRI Scanning
- There are no specific dietary or other preparations for your MRI scan. Take your medications as usual.
- You will have to change into hospital clothes upon arriving for your appointment and remove any metal accessories (watches, jewelry, hair clips and bras with metal hooks).
- You must remove ALL piercings, dentures, and removable bridges.
- Please do not wear eye make-up or have wet hair.
- Scented products (perfume, cologne, after shave, aromatherapy, hair spray, etc) will cause allergic reactions, including severe respiratory distress, in those with hypersensitivities. For the safety of our staff and other patients we ask that you do not apply any scented body products on the day of your appointment. Also, if you are being accompanied, please ask your guests to refrain from wearing scented products. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO OUR STAFF.
MRI Safety Reminder
The most important part of preparing for your MRI scan is determining whether you have any metal or surgical implants that may be affected by the strong magnetic fields used in the MRI process. Most implants are not affected by MRI, but if you have any of the following you will not be able to participate in the MRI study:
- brain aneurysm clip
- cochlear implant
- recent surgery within the past 6 weeks
- possibility of pregnancy
- electrical stimulator for nerves or bones
- implanted infusion pump
If you have any of the following, please contact the study coordinator or MR technologist:
- history of any eye injury involving metal fragments
- you have been a metal worker (grinding, machining, or welding)
- artificial heart valve
- orthopedic hardware (artificial joint, plate, screws, rods)
- other metallic prostheses
- coil, catheter or filter in any blood vessel
- ear or eye implant
- recent tatoos within the past 6 weeks
- shrapnel, bullets, or other metallic fragments
- medication releasing skin patches (nicotine, birth control, nitroglycerine)
Please see here for directions and parking information.
Healthy Subject Information 2015 (downloadable information sheet)